What is Food Safety Management System ISO22001 for?
Who should get ISO22000?
Food safety management system (FSMS) enables an organization that is directly or indirectly involved in the food chain:
- to plan, implement, operate, maintain and update a FSMS providing products and services that are safe, in accordance with their intended use;
- to demonstrate compliance with applicable statutory and regulatory food safety requirements;
- to evaluate and assess mutually agreed customer food safety requirements and to demonstrate conformity with them;
- to effectively communicate food safety issues to interested parties within the food chain;
- to ensure that the organization conforms to its stated food safety policy;
- to demonstrate conformity to relevant interested parties;
- to seek certification or registration of its FSMS by an external organization, or make a self-assessment or self-declaration of conformity to this document.
Food Safety Management System is generic and applicable to all organizations in the food chain, regardless of size and complexity.
Organizations that are directly or indirectly involved include, but are not limited to, feed producers, animal food producers, harvesters of wild plants and animals, farmers, producers of ingredients, food manufacturers, retailers, and organizations providing food services, catering services, cleaning and sanitation services, transportation, storage and distribution services, suppliers of equipment, cleaning and disinfectants, packaging materials and other food contact materials.